The Porter County Department of Development and Storm Water Management (Department) oversees the inspection, construction, reconstruction, repair, and maintenance of the County’s infrastructure. This position is to provide engineering and related services to various activities and endeavors related to such infrastructure in order to protect the interests of the County and the public. Said position will be supervised by the Director of Engineering (County Engineer) and shall serve within the storm water division of the Department. The activities of employees in the storm water division will include the investigation and evaluation of drainage and storm water management issues, MS4 program activities, construction and post-construction site inspections, review of proposed private developments for compliance with county codes, design of drainage and storm water management projects, and assisting the County Engineer with the management of drainage and storm water management projects in consultation with the Storm Water Management Board.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS In addition to consistent and reliable attendance, the following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Conduct field and desktop investigations of drainage and storm water management issues.
• Assist the County Engineer with the analysis and evaluation of drainage and storm water management issues, including identifying tributary drainage areas, overland flow routes, and storm sewer flow routes, and performing hydrologic and/or hydraulic modeling.
• Assist the County Engineer with the design and engineering of drainage and storm water management projects.
• Assist the County Engineer with the scheduling, management, and implementation of projects within the storm water division.
• Review proposed drainage and storm water management projects within the county right-of-way.
• Review proposed activities within the county’s system of regulated drains and regulated drainage easements.
• Review proposed construction plans from consultants and developers for conformance with the county’s storm water management related standards and codes.
• Responding to requests and inquiries from the public, County officials, boards, commissions and/or committees.
• Participating on or providing assistance to various boards, commissions and committees.
• Managing the work of consultants and contractors, including directing the work of survey crew(s) collecting field data for in-house design projects.
• Inspecting the Department’s construction projects for conformance to plans, specifications and other contract documents.
• Inspecting private construction projects for conformance to approved construction plans and the county’s storm water management related standards and codes.
• Assisting with the preparation of easement agreements and associated documents.
• Assisting with project budgets and developing projects and year end reports.
• Assisting other departments with engineering related issues.
• Perform related duties as required or directed by the County Engineer.
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field required. Supplemental experience in storm water engineering preferred, but not required. Engineering In Training (EIT) for the State of Indiana or the ability to sit for the exam within 6 months required. Requires valid Indiana Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within 60 days.
Additional Salary Information: Salary is negotiable within pay scale established for position, dependent on experience and qualifications.
The mission of the Porter County Department of Development and Storm Water Management is to coordinate the county's storm water management activities to improve water quality, reduce flood damages, and maintain, restore, and enhance the county's valuable storm water infrastructure. Our vision is "clean water for everyone."