Provides overall leadership, guidance, and is accountable for the safe and efficient operation of the Energy Efficiency contracting business. Champions the safety philosophy and policies of WGL Holdings and WGL Energy Systems. The MPC is responsible for safely maximizing project profitability through design/build energy efficiency projects in the governmental, institutional and commercial space. The MPC maintains a staff of qualified project management professionals, and effectively integrates progressive project management techniques into existing functional processes. The MPC coordinates with and supports Business Development in originating new projects.
Examples of Specific Tasks/Responsibilities
· Manages and maintains P&L responsibility for the energy efficiency contracting business, always implementing WGL Energy’s Safety First approach.
· Maintains detailed understanding of the Utility Energy Services Contracting method (UESC or Areawide contract) and Energy Savings Performance Contract method for Federal Government contracting.
· Responsible for driving process and policy and procedure compliance.
· Organizes and oversees fulfillment operations, including maintaining budget and schedule, reporting, conflict resolution and origination support.
· Develops and manages prime contracting operations, including safety, quality, staffing, performance, and customer relations.
· Maintains working knowledge of relevant FAR regulations and government contracting matters.
· Works with Business Development/Origination in client relations, deal structure development, identification of opportunities, cost estimating, and contract development.
· Manages the execution of prime contracting component of the company’s business plan working with executive leaders within WGL Energy Systems and WGL.
· Maintains positive client relationship. Solicits customer feedback to continually improving value delivered to customers.
· Drives process improvements through a combination of formal training such as industry specific certifications as well as regular communication and performance reviews.
· Hires, builds and motivates a high-performance team of well-rounded professionals to deliver exceptional customer solutions.
3-5 direct reports
Sr. Project Manager(s)
Assistant Project Manager(s)
Functional group stakeholders within WGL Holdings
Federal, State and Municipal Government Clients
Regulatory and permitting agencies
Contractors and vendors
OGC and Outside Council
Skills and Abilities
· BA or BS degree in construction management, engineering, business or related field is required.
· Minimum 7 years of experience required with PNL responsibility in federal government-focused prime contracting business unit in the energy efficiency space. Experience implementing and utilizing project management software applications to include contract management, scheduling, submittal/RFI management, job costing, change order management, correspondence, invoicing, etc.
· Ability to implement and drive processes in compliance with corporate policies and procedures.
· Ability to communicate effectively (including written and oral communications skills, listening skills, and the ability to effectively negotiate), including ability to persuade.
· Ability to execute in a complex, fast-paced, changing environment and in response to customer and business unit demands.
· Demonstrated business judgment and strong organizational skills required.
· Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies.
· Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including executives, clients, contractors and internal stakeholders.
· Team oriented.
· Advanced capability in interpreting Critical Path Method schedules and work flow diagrams prepared in Prima Vera, MS Project or similar applications.
· Proficient with MS Office suite of applications.
· Ability to prepare budgets and forecasts, and read and interpret contracts.
· Ability to prepare and present slide presentation materials.
Physical/Mental Abilities and Working Conditions
Check the box preceding each functional requirement and each environmental and mental ability factor that are necessary in performing the essential functions of the job title listed above. (To enter check mark, double click the box and change “not checked” to “checked”. To fill in a blank, double click the box and type text in “default text”.)
Lifting (0-15 lbs) (16–44 lbs) (45+lbs)
Works: (outside) (outside & inside)
Carrying (0-15 lbs) (16–44 lbs) (45+ lbs) Move
Exposed to: (excessive heat) (excessive cold)
Pulling ( hours)
Excessive: (humidity) (dampness) (chilling)
Pushing ( hours)
Walking/moving/traversing ( hours)
Standing ( hours) Remaining in a stationary position
Communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express oneself, exchange information
Subject to unusual fatigue (explain)
Ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
Ability to understand, remember, and communicate routine, factual information
Ability to communicate concisely and understandably.
Ability to understand, remember, and apply oral and/or written instructions or other information
Ability to shift priorities readily.
Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions
Ability to ask questions to gather information.
Ability to understand opposing points of view on highly complex issues and to negotiate and integrate different viewpoints
Ability to assess circumstances/information and make sound decisions.
Ability to organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology
Ability to receive negative or emotion-laden feedback without reacting negatively or with emotion.
Ability to organize and prioritize own work schedule on short-term basis (longer than one month)
Ability to access procedures and follow them.
Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules of others on short-term basis
Ability to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high degree of productivity.
Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules of others on long-term basis
Ability to make decisions which have moderate impact on immediate work unit
Ability to apply common sense in performing job
Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit
Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the department’s credibility, operations and services.
Ability to understand and follow basic instructions and guidelines
Ability to complete routine forms, use existing form letters and/or conduct routine oral communication
Ability to compose letters, outlines, memoranda, and basic reports and/or to orally communicate technical information
Ability to communicate with individuals utilizing a telephone, computer or other electronic device; requires ability to hear and speak effectively on phone and to use a computer or other electronic device
Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word, communicating orally with others accurately, loudly and quickly
Ability to make informal presentations, inside and/or outside the organization and to speak before groups
Ability to compose materials such as detailed reports, work-related manuals, publications of limited scope or impact, etc., and/or to make presentations outside the immediate work area
Ability to formulate complex and comprehensive materials such as legal documents, authoritative reports, official publications of major scope and impact., etc., and/or to make formal presentations
No/some/extensive mathematical ability is required (choose one and delete the other two)
Ability to count accurately
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide and to record, balance, and check results for accuracy
Ability to compute, analyze and interpret numerical data for reporting purposes
Ability to compute, analyze and interpret complex statistical data and/or to develop forecasts and computer models
WGL [NYSE: WGL] is a leading source for clean and efficient energy solutions. Through our affiliates and strategic relationships, we offer a diverse set of energy sources including natural gas, wind and solar as well as a range of energy solutions-generation, storage, transportation, distribution, supply, and efficiency-serving customers in more than 25 states.