JOB SUMMARY: The Department of Quality, Safety and Risk Prevention (QSRP) equips and empowers VUMC faculty and staff to offer care that is safe, timely, effective, efficient, and patient-centered. As a member of QSRP, this position develops and modifies Business Intelligence solutions independently. Designs data models used for reporting and analytics, develops ETL processes for data, and utilizes BI tools to satisfy end user data needs. Implements large/multiple development projects. Functions as lead on projects. May lead teams. Coaches development of Business Intelligence Developers.
Develops or modifies data models, ETL processes, and BI tool solutions.
Ensures appropriate documentation for all development and modification.
Ensures integrity and security of institutional data.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE TOOLS (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the effective use of the tool in complex applications. Experienced in all core features of the tool. Demonstrates a thorough understanding of advanced concepts and features. Uses tool consistently in delivering applications. May have successfully completed training in advanced techniques and tools.
DATA MARTS (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the effective application, operation or practice in complex applications. Experienced in all core features and functions. Demonstrates a thorough understanding of advanced concepts. Applies concepts and tools consistently in delivering applications. May have successfully completed training in advanced techniques, features and tools.
DATA WAREHOUSING (INTERMEDIATE):- Designed a system in which data warehousing was a primary component. Has detailed knowledge of corporate, as well as local, data warehouse models. Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of options available in various data warehouse components. Demonstrates an understanding of the different data warehouse structures , both in theory and practical application. Capable of predicting performance on the basis of the available options and environments, including the ability to synthesize local and regional data requirements into a specific data warehouse application.
ETL/ETT/ETM TOOLS AND PROCESS (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates the use of key ETL/ETT/ETM tools and utilities independently to accomplish appropriate database tasks. Has significant experience extracting data from a specified source database and taking out a desired subset of data for at least one major data warehouse project. Has transformed the acquired data - using complex rules or lookup tables, or creating combinations with other data - to convert it to the desired state. Responsible for writing the resulting data [either all of the subset or just the changes] to a target database. Capable of providing support and direction in the use of the Company's primary ETL/ETT/ETM tool for other team members. Identifies new features of immediate benefit and develops plans to incorporate them into existing procedures.
Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas.
Team Interaction: Acts as a go-to resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P3):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies oneâs own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employeesâ effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P3):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.