Reporting to the Assistant City Manager – Development Services, the Public Works Director plans, manages and oversees the activities and operations of the Divisions of Sanitation, Equipment Services (Fleet), Building Maintenance, Streets, and Cemetery&Grounds. Across all divisions this position oversees 84 FTE employees and is responsible for a budget of $7.5M. The Public Works Department interfaces with every other department in the City and has extensive external contact with citizens, business leaders, , local non-profits and NCDOT. The Director will interface with multiple elected officials and appointed Boards and Commissions. More information about the Public Works Department can be found at http://www.ci.burlington.nc.us/54/Public-Works. The successful candidate has a proven track record and is
• Outstanding at community engagement with the ability to engage with people from diverse backgrounds;
• Supportive of highly competent staff while also increasing collaboration and cohesiveness within and across divisions;
• Knowledgeable of theory, principles, practices and techniques of public works, general civil engineering, construction, sanitation, equipment services, cemeteries, grounds maintenance, street maintenance,; traffic control and facility management;
• Knowledgeable of applicable federal, state and local law, codes and regulations governing the administration of public administration and public utilities functions and activities;
• An experienced project manager who is adept at overseeing major construction and infrastructure projects; • Experienced in developing employees internally to proactively plan for successions in anticipation of upcoming retirements;
• Adept at developing an excellent customer service culture for internal and external customers while supporting and advocating for employees and the department;
• Proactive in building collaborative external relationships with citizens, NCDOT, local stakeholders/non-profits, contractors, developers, engineers, and business leaders to effectively meet City goals and internal relationships within Engineering, BDOT, Planning/Code Enforcement, and other City Departments;
• Resourceful in finding or developing innovative solutions to meet workload demands with reduced staff in a tight budget climate;
• An effective listener who seeks input from relevant parties, realistically assesses plans and consistently communicates;
• A principled leader who values accountability while holding realistic and fair expectations of self and others; and,
• An excellent and effective communicator, including one on one, small groups and public speaking, who confidently and persuasively engages citizens,
As the Director, this person must demonstrate significant experience in a department with similarly diverse facilities and functions, serving an urban environment. The candidate’s work history must include well-rounded experience with minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in public works, engineering, or related fields, including 5 or more years of supervisory responsibility. Experience in local government public works or engineering is required. A bachelor’s degree in engineering (preferably civil), business administration, public administration, or related field, is required while a relevant master’s degree, professional engineering license, and appropriate certifications are preferred. The selected candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a valid class C North Carolina driver’s license; class B a plus.
Application and Screening Process
Application and Screening APPLY BY AUGUST 23, 2018 to https://www.developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/. All applications must be fully completed and submitted via the online portal. All inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. On-site assessments will be held September 19-20, 2018 in Burlington, NC.
Additional Salary Information: Excellent benefit package including paid health and dental; paid vacation, sick and holiday leave; on-site medical clinic; defined benefit retirement plan and supplemental 401k retirement plan.
About City of Burlington NC
Burlington, in Alamance County, is a thriving city of more than 53,000 residents. Situated along the I-40/I-85 Corridor, Burlington’s origin spun from the railroad but in the late 1880’s the textile industry spawned and the City eventually became the location for Burlington Industries and many other significant textile mills. In addition to education, health and government services, the City is home to companies such as LabCorp (corporate HQ), Glen Raven (corporate HQ), Kayser-Roth, Gold Toe, Sheetz Distribution Center, and jet engine manufacturer Honda Aero (corporate HQ), among others. Nestled between North Carolina’s Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) to the East and the Triad (Greensboro/ High Point/Winston-Salem) to the West, Burlington has easy access to major metropolitan areas. With its temperate climate and close proximity to both the mountains of North Carolina and Atlantic Ocean beaches, Burlington provides residents the best of both worlds. In addition, Burlington offers its own recreational opportunities with award winning parks, access to rivers and trails and the Burlington Royals, a minor league baseball team. Additional information about the City is availa...ble at www.burlingtonnc.gov.
The City of Burlington operates under a Council/Manager form of government and provides a full range of services to its citizens, through 13 departments, employing 574 FTE employees including police and fire protection, animal services, construction and maintenance of streets and other infrastructure, traffic control, recreational activities, cultural events, and sanitation in the form of solid waste collection. The City also owns and operates three cemeteries, a golf course, a regional water treatment and distribution system, a sewer treatment and collection system, and a storm water fund. A citywide transit system, Link Transit, was successfully launched two years ago.