Oshkosh and its surrounding communities have a population of 95,000. The city plays host to hundreds of local, regional, national and international events each year which is why it is branded as “Wisconsin’s Event City”! Oshkosh is home to more than 1,000 events each year ranging from monthly gallery walks and farmer’s markets to major music festivals and the largest air show in the world, EAA AirVenture. Oshkosh also boasts an abundance of waterways, and trails making it an outstanding destination for outdoor enthusiasts to enjoy everything from boating, to fishing, to hiking, biking and more. The community also boasts a first-class convention center and the current construction of an arena that will host the Milwaukee Bucks D-League team starting in the Fall of 2017.
The Oshkosh Convention & Visitors Bureau (OCVB) is a private, not-for-profit organization, funded solely through room tax dollars from Oshkosh hotels. Its mission is to promote Oshkosh, Wisconsin’s Event City and Winnebago County as a premier destination for corporate, sports and leisure groups and individual visitors. Our Board is seeking an experienced professional to manage the operations of the OCVB with a current staff of five team members and budget of just over $900,000. The leader in this positon must be able to successfully implement the strategic plan, as directed by the Board, including the directing of the sales and marketing efforts of the Bureau. The ability to collaborate with City leaders, key stakeholders and tourism partners is essential. The candidate for this position must understand tourism development, its economic impact and the importance of its contribution to the community. This includes the focus on marketing tourism in the City and the County with the goal of increased hotel room sales so that the cycle of funding for continued marketing efforts can be sustained through increased room tax dollars.
Purpose of the Position:
The Executive Director works full-time to develop and implement programs to accomplish the objectives of the Oshkosh Convention and Visitors Bureau. The Executive Director orchestrates all aspects and functions of the bureau including budget, administrative, sales and marketing and community leadership. The Executive Director’s primary duty is to manage the OCVB.
Required Working Hours:
This is a salaried position requiring the employee to work a minimum of 40 hours a week. The candidate must be available to work weekends and evenings, as the position will occasionally require.
Essential Job Functions:
Sales and Marketing
- Directs activities of all areas of tourism sales and promotion, meeting and convention solicitation, sports marketing and bureau services.
- Is the lead representative in promoting and selling Oshkosh and Winnebago County as a tourist and convention destination.
- Develops and implements creative and effective advertising, publicity and community relations programs.
- Is a catalyst for the development of increased visitor facilities, attractions, events and promotions through work with the private sector, quasi-public organizations and public bodies.
- Maintains personal contact with groups and participates in activities as needed.
- Implement and assist sales staff with goal attainment.
- Implements and assists in accomplishing sales strategies to include direct sales, sales blitzes, tradeshows, direct mail, and other marketing and promotional methods.
State and Local Involvement
- Establishes and maintains communication with all tourism-related organizations as they affect the tourism industry of Oshkosh and Winnebago County.
- Enhances the Bureau’s image by attending professional meetings and local functions, addressing groups, and making community presentations as needed.
- Assist in implementing regional marketing projects with Winnebago and surrounding counties.
- Nurture and maintain key city relationships to include city and county government, Chamber of Commerce, Oshkosh Area Community Foundation and the Business Improvement District.
- Build and maintain relationships with hotels and attractions to include The Grand Opera House.
- Maintain membership and/or key role in state, local and county organizations.
- Executes the organizational, managerial, and administrative and decision making duties of the Bureau.
- Reports on a monthly basis to the Oshkosh Convention & Visitors Bureau Board of Directors.
- Prepares, an operating budget covering all activities of the Bureau for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Monitors proposed legislation as it affects the tourism industry of Oshkosh and Winnebago County.
- To creatively plan, formulate and implement policies, procedures and programs including financial resources which will further the objectives of the Board.
- Recruits, hires, trains and motivates all staff personnel; responsible for staff administration, including promotion, discipline, salary review, and all associated personnel administration duties.
- Maximizes team member potential by clearly defining their duties, establishing their performance standards, conducting performance reviews and maintaining competitive salary structures.
This is a full-time, salaried position. A competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Benefit package includes paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, health insurance, life insurance and Simple IRA.
Email Cover Letter and Resume to Dan Schetter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or Mail to:
Daniel Schetter, General Manager
Best Western Premier Waterfront Hotel and Convention Center
1 North Main St.
Oshkosh, WI 54901