We are seeking a Director, TRAIN Learning Network and Programs, who will lead the TRAIN Learning Network and Programs Unit (TRAIN) and develop and execute a strategy to grow the business.
TRAIN is a national learning network that provides thousands of quality training opportunities to more than one million professionals who protect and improve the public's health.
Powered by the Public Health Foundation (PHF), the TRAIN Learning Network brings together agencies and organizations in the public health, healthcare, and preparedness sectors to disseminate, track, and share trainings for the health workforce. At the core of this network is a shared technology solution—a customized learning management system (LMS)—that allows for interaction and content-sharing across different agencies and organizations.
The TRAIN Learning Network is comprised of the following three major components:
- TRAIN Affiliates: There are currently 29 TRAIN affiliate agencies, including health and preparedness agencies in 26 states and 3 federal agencies—the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Medical Reserve Corps (MRC), and Veterans Health Administration (VHA). These agencies pay a subscription fee to operate branded portals on the TRAIN LMS platform, and work together to coordinate and share trainings, as well as identify and bridge training gaps as a community.
- TRAIN Course Providers: Government agencies, academic institutions, professional associations, non-profits, and other institutions develop; and post content on TRAIN. Many courses offer CEs.
- TRAIN Learners: More than 1.3 million public health, healthcare, and preparedness professionals from all US states and territories, as well as 177 other countries are registered users on TRAIN.
The successful operation of TRAIN depends upon the leadership of PHF’s TRAIN team and a technology partner that builds, hosts and maintains the TRAIN LMS.
The TRAIN Learning Network is currently funded with affiliate subscription fees and grant funding.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead efforts to expand the TRAIN Learning Network, and ensure a healthy financial environment.
- Expand TRAIN’s penetration into other markets/sectors.
- Set and achieve business and financial goals and objectives.
- Work with PHF Senior Leadership to set and achieve performance goals and metrics for quarterly and annual sales, retention of TRAIN Affiliates, business development, and marketing activities.
- Develop and lead a business development strategy to achieve financial targets in conjunction with the Director of Strategic Communications.
- Identify and secure funding, including tracking and responding to RFP’s and other announcements, and preparing proposals.
- Develop and implement a customer relationship strategy to maintain existing affiliate and partner relationships and to bring in new affiliates and partners.
- Work with the PHF Business Operations Unit to streamline the TRAIN affiliate subscription contracting process, including adding TRAIN to government procurement vehicles such as the GSA Schedule.
- Negotiate contracts in conjunction with the PHF Business Operations Unit.
- Conceptualize, oversee development, and implement new products and services to expand TRAIN’s customer base and revenue.
Leadership and Management
- Under the direction of the President/CEO, assist in the development and implementation of PHF’s strategic goals.
- Implement, expand, and refine the vision for TRAIN.
- With assistance from the TRAIN Assistant Director, oversee daily operations of TRAIN.
- Develop and maintain effective teamwork among staff and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with PHF Senior Leadership in preparing reports documenting TRAIN activities and outcomes.
- Prepare and deliver presentations on TRAIN to the PHF Board of Directors and external stakeholders.
Product and Project Management
- Provide strategic oversight and set the direction for the second development phase (and all subsequent phases) of the new TRAIN LMS.
- Provide management oversight of staff tasked with carrying out TRAIN Learning Network operations, including:
- Ongoing technical assistance to TRAIN affiliates, course providers, and partners
- Course approval and maintenance activities
- Subscription fee billing, in conjunction with PHF Business Operations
- Communications and outreach activities to promote TRAIN and encourage collaboration with TRAIN affiliates, course providers, and partners
- Vendor management to ensure quality technical support
- Provide oversight of staff managing grant-funded projects, including ensuring that goals, objectives, and reporting are of high quality and completed on time and within budget.
- Develop and prepare the annual TRAIN budget.
Other Responsibilities and Opportunities
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge of e-learning (e.g., attending workshops, client conferences, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of the art practices, participating in professional societies).
- Have a broad understanding of what our competitors are doing in terms of innovation and new business products in the e-learning and learning management system markets.