| Advertised Summary Job Description: Columbia University Information Technology (CUIT), supports mission critical technology for over 40,000 faculty, staff and students. Our Core Values: Innovation; Trust; Performance; Respect; One Team (ITPRO), are the cornerstones of our organization. These values underlie our work, how we interact with each other and which strategies we employ to fulfill our mission. Come join our team! |
Reporting to the Director Network Engineering, the Sr. Network Engineer is responsible for the technical design, implementation and project coordination for the many network infrastructure projects undertaken by Columbia University each year, specifically projects related to 802.11 wireless. The incumbent must be well-versed in wired and wireless network systems.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the development of network architecture and standards.
- Tests new wireless technologies in support of University objectives.
- Recommends technology for specific applications including next-generation Wi-Fi technology, Simple Service Discovery Protocol products, location and wayfinding and access point placement.
- Calculates project cost estimates.
- Works with limited budgets to deliver projects on-time while working under tight deadlines.
- Ensures that all technical decisions result in coherent network designs that use the most effective methods and tools.
- Designs campus-wide wireless network architecture.
- Performs network engineering tasks for multiple projects supporting several University initiatives, including the CU Manhattanville Campus expansion. Develops original and creative technical solutions to ongoing network engineering efforts.
- Responsible for the documentation of network designs, including reviewing and archiving as-built network drawings, wireless survey test results, generating network architecture logical diagrams, IPv4 and IPv6 assignments, wireless access point placement and wireless controller configuration.
- Provides project management oversight of complex, cross?technology projects.
- Interfaces with senior faculty and staff.
- Participates in a periodic after-hours on-call rotation.
- All other duties as assigned.
General Minimum Qualifications: - Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent required.
- Minimum 4-6 years' related work experience.
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: - 4+ years related work experience in IT working with some or all of the following data and wireless network systems:
- structured cabling systems
- 802.11 wireless systems
- network technology components
- IP network protocols and common network configurations
- Current knowledge of Aruba and /or Cisco wireless solutions.
- Proficiency with network tools (Ekahau ESS, spectrum analyzers, Airwave, Prime, inSSIDer, Wireshark).
- Working knowledge of 802.1x wireless security protocols.
- Experience designing 802.11 wireless access point placements.
- Working knowledge of Cisco switches, routers and Operating Systems (IOS, IOS-XE , NX-OS, ASA OS).
- Proficiency with spreadsheets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with many contacts (inside and outside the university).
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrated excellence in a variety of competencies including teamwork/collaboration, analytical thinking, communication and influencing skills, and technical expertise.
- Ability to work with changing priorities and with multiple projects.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work weekends and perform off-hour work on occasion.
Preferred Qualifications: - Project management experience.
- Familiarity with NYC building and electrical codes.
- Familiarity with BICSI recommended best practices..
- Experience interpreting construction drawings and documents.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.