Job Summary: Assist Director of Engineering in performing a large variety of technical, administrative, and supervisory duties including planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating activities of the Engineering Division with regard to design, planning, surveying, construction inspection, maps and records. Also responsible for ensuring platting and engineering construction drawings are completed for approval and that new residential and commercial construction conforms to City of Pearland specifications. Responsible for City-wide flood plain management and review and approval of all drainage and traffic impact analysis.
Supervisory Functions: Responsible for assisting with the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the Engineering Division. Assists with directly supervising the Assistant Director of Engineering, Associate Engineer and Chief Engineering Inspector, and indirectly supervises seven (7) additional employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Manage assigned positions to achieve goals within available resources; plan and organize workflow and staff assignments; train, motivate, and evaluate assigned staff; review progress and direct changes as needed.
- Prepare or direct preparation of plans, specifications, cost estimates and bid documents; make recommendations regarding awarding bids to contractors.
- Coordinate with other local agencies in an effort to maximize efficiency and benefits of adjacent or overlapping improvements and long-term planning.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs including traffic safety and signals, signs and markings.
- Assist in the development, planning and implementation of the division's goals and objectives, including organizational development, personnel development and overall succession planning efforts.
- Review, maintain and update the standards for Traffic Impact Analysis reports.
- Review and approve as appropriate Traffic Impact Analysis for thoroughfare improvements, commercial development and subdivision development.
- Maintain and manage the City's Travel Demand Model.
- Manage assigned positions, plan and organize workflow and staff assignments; train, motivate and evaluate staff; resolve complaints and maintain harmony among staff; assist subordinates in performing duties and adjusting errors.
- Seek local training opportunities for all division personnel to stay informed and updated on current practices, requirements and standards.
- Prepare, review and approve traffic signal standards, including the citywide network overall short term and long term plan.
- Monitor project compliance with appropriate Federal, State and local laws and regulations. Review current trends and developments in the field of construction, and prepare revisions to codes, ordinances, standard details, and local regulations. Supervise the examination of civil site work plans of all types to determine compliance with code requirements and related regulations.
- Manage and participate in the development and administration of the Engineering Division annual budget; direct the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; direct the monitoring of and approve expenditures; direct and implement adjustments as necessary.
- Review and approve engineering documents of private contractors; establish technical criteria and standards for making technical engineering and planning related decisions. Supervise assigned engineering and planning consultants on City projects.
- Analyze reports, maps, drawings, tests, and aerial photographs on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and other topographical and geologic data to plan and design project.
- Calculate cost and determines feasibility of project based on analysis of collected data.
- Prepare or direct preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, and designs for project.
- Investigate violations of flood plain and land-fill ordinances and author certified letters putting violators on notice that they must come into compliance.
- Work with the Director of Engineering, Public Works Director and Assistant Director of Capital Projects to administer the City's five year Capital Improvement Program.
- Communicates official programs, policies and procedures to engineers, contractors, developers, other government officials, advisory board members, city council members, city staff, and the general public concerning engineering standards, as needed.
- Evaluate methods used in providing engineering, surveying, drafting and construction inspection services; make recommendations for improvement; and implement appropriate recommendations. Explain, interpret, and provide guidance regarding all applicable codes to architects, engineers, contractors, developers, and other interested parties.
- Responsible for planning, preparing, and administering annual operating budget of the Engineering Division, administering city policies and procedures, and preparing reports.
- Serves as "essential personnel" and is required to remain available for immediate call-in due to any natural or manmade disaster, or any other event the Director of Engineering, Assistant City Manager, or City Manager deem necessary.
- Contributes to team effort by performing other related duties as assigned.