Work Location: Springfield Campus
Department: Missouri State Outreach, Marketing and Promotions
Pay Grade: Unclassified
Posting Number: 20170011PTS
The part-time Graphic and Web Designer for Missouri State Outreach supports Missouri State Outreach and the Office of the Provost by producing a wide range of printed and electronic materials which may include: banners, ads, brochures, flyers, billboards, video and PowerPoint presentations. Scope of position also requires the preparation of photos and graphics for email marketing, social media marketing, and for the web.
The Graphic and Web Designer, Missouri State Outreach meets the client's marketing objectives by utilizing strong communication, conceptual, and design skills to produce materials that are on time, on target, and within the client's budget. The Graphic and Web Designer, Missouri State Outreach works in a team-oriented environment with a strong customer service philosophy. The Graphic and Web Designer works cooperatively with clients and team members giving and receiving appropriate, constructive feedback.
Description of Primary Duties:
1. Provides marketing and design support for the Office of the Provost as well as the noncredit and credit divisions of Missouri State Outreach.
2. Produces effective publication and web page designs by conducting initial project interviews to understand the client's specific marketing objectives and to formulate appropriate concepts and comprehensives.
3. Understands and complies with the University's Identity Standards for both printed pieces and for the web.
4. Coordinates the efficient and timely production of printed pieces and/or required web designs by working closely with clients, photographers, editors, web programmers and printers.
5. Uses an understanding of prepress, offset, and digital printing processes to inform the client of appropriate options and accurately prepares and hands off files to printers.
6. Provides bid specifications to the University's Procurement Office and/or the University's Printing Services and works closely with on and/or off-campus printers.
7. Ensures printed pieces to be mailed meet the postal rules and regulations governing standard, nonprofit mail.
8. Oversees the print production process by participating in prepress proofs and press checks as needed to ensure design integrity, color accuracy, and the expectations of a quality product are met.
9. Coordinates the direct impression labeling, pre-sorting, etc. of printed pieces with the University's Postal Services and/or outside mailing services provider as needed.
10. Places ads and purchases media for clients and works collaboratively with the department to ensure payment of ads and/or media is made.
11. Understands the functionality of the web and presents appropriate web designs to clients. Provides required text and images in an appropriate format as needed for Missouri State Outreach webmasters.
12. Maintains proficiency with the latest graphic and web design software and assists in assessing the office's computer and networking needs.
13. Provides photographic support through digital acquisition, compositing, editing, and proofing for print, web and electronic presentation applications.
14. Works as a liaison between clients and webmasters to ensure that the client's desired web presence is achieved.
15. Designs, creates, prepares and assists faculty and staff in building electronic presentations and visual media for classroom, departmental and college applications.
18. Designs and produces large format academic and departmental poster presentations for display. Provides dry mounting, spray mounting and matt cutting services as needed.
19. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director of Marketing and Promotions.
20. Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing essential duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
Education, Experience, and Skills
A Bachelor of Arts degree in Graphic Design or a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with an emphasis in Graphic Design is required.
Experience: One year of experience using graphic design software including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and one year of experience using web design software including Dreamweaver is required. Experience using PowerPoint is preferred.
Skills: Must demonstrate talent as a designer. Must possess the ability to think conceptually and effectively communicate specific marketing objectives using appropriate visual and typographical elements. Must have an understanding of color theory and color management. Time management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage multiple tasks with critical deadlines are required. Excellent proofreading, communication, and interpersonal skills are required.
Effort: The scope of the position occasionally requires working additional hours to complete jobs and to attend press checks and an extensive amount of time working at a computer workstation. Requires occasional lifting of printed materials weighing up to 35 pounds. Must possess physical dexterity sufficient for precise cutting, trimming and mounting display materials.
Other: Reliable transportation is required to attend press proofs, meetings, and project interviews.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Must be available to work 15-20 hours per week.