For a full job description and to apply, please visit our jobsite at http://jobs.fitchburgstate.edu
General Description of Duties: Installs, repairs, maintains and/ or alters steam, heating, water supply, drainage and disposal systems such as sanitary fixtures, heating units, sprinkler systems, steam tables, industrial cafeteria equipment, etc., and performs related work as required. Performs related preventative maintenance per the work order system. The basic purpose of this work is to install, repair, maintain and/or alter steam, heating, water supply, drainage and disposal systems.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Installs, repairs, maintain, and/or alters steam and plumbing systems by cleaning sewer drains; by operating power tools, welding equipment, sewer cleaning machines, hand tools, and plumbing equipment; by laying out, cutting and fitting materials for welding; by packing joints, valves and pumps; by replacing seals in water closets; by cleaning filters; by unplugging sinks, toilets, and drains; and by insulating heat tracing wires and/or piping to ensure that equipment is in proper working order and to meet institutional needs.
- Inspects buildings to assess conditions and determine need for repairs.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, sketches, instructions or layouts to understand construction work to be done.
- Schedules installation, maintenance and/or repair work by conferring with supervisors and other department personnel to determine location of equipment and appropriate time to complete the project.
- Estimates length of time, cost of materials and manpower needed by using current market rates and man-hour output to develop a work project budget.
- Receives Work Orders from building occupants and refer/assign complaints to appropriate personnel for corrective action.
- Prepare requisitions for supplies and equipment as needed
- Maintain records on such matters as work completed, time sheets, etc.
- Performs related duties such as erecting scaffolding, riggings, and/or ladders; laying out the drop cloths, fabricating miscellaneous metal products; sharpening and tempering various tools; cleaning tools and equipment; preparing work reports; and training employees on the job.
- Alters repairs and maintains deionized water
- Installs and maintains PVC piping, sprinkler, gas distribution and industrial cafeteria systems.
- Performs related work as assigned by the supervisor.
- Responds to after hour emergency calls as required.