A Bachelor’s Degree is required; Minimum of three years of coaching experience on the high school or collegiate level.
The candidate must possess outstanding interpersonal skills and a willingness to work with student athletes, administration, faculty and staff. Demonstrates interest in and an aptitude for performing tasks listed:
Overall Job Goal:
Within the framework of the entire athletic program, the head coach is responsible for leading the ongoing development and improvement of his or her sport through coordinating, planning, evaluation, and implement of programs. All coaches have the responsibility of overseeing the program in the best interest of Girard College by adhering to the policies and regulation of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (P.I.A.A.), as well as the practices and procedures of the school administration.
- Ensure that the aim and objectives of the program support those of the institution and are within established Girard College institutional policies and league rules and regulations.
- Submit appropriate compliance documentation regarding league rules and regulations to compliance office.
- Schedule all Boys Basketball competitions in conjunction with Athletic Director.
- Maintain current health care certifications. (First Aid, CPR/AED).
- Enforce all Girard College policies and procedures including, but not limited to, general student, staff and department specific.
- Report all possible infractions of Girard College/league rules and regulations to the Athletic Director.
- Make recommendations for facility maintenance and construction to the Director of Athletics.
- Represent the sports program to various institutional programs, government agencies, funding agencies, students, parents and the general public. Represent Girard College as needed in a professional manner at all times.
- Discuss the proposed budget for the Boys Basketball program for each upcoming season with the athletic director.
- Recommend the purchasing of equipment and uniform apparel as needed for the Girard College Basketball Program to the athletic director.
- With the athletic director develop an effective recruiting system, to identify two to four mission-appropriate student-athletes to Girard College admissions staff.
- Develop and conduct good media relations between members of the sport staff, squad representatives and various media.
- Communicate regularly with Communications Director, particularly in regard to scores, teams records, photo ops and website information.
- Establish and maintain positive and effective relationship with Girard College Alumni.
- Organize, prepare, and conduct open tryouts, individual and team practices, training and competition.
- Coordinate an effective in-season and off-season conditioning program.
- Lead, monitor and coordinate training and practice sessions, ensuring that all appropriate safety guidelines and standards are maintained.
- Be consistently responsible for the welfare of all students under coach’s charge.
- Address and resolve any issues that arise with a student-athlete, the team and/or a member of the boys’ basketball staff.
- Strive to provide guidance and support to enhance a student-athlete’s welfare regarding his/her academic and athletic experience while at Girard College.
- Oversee team and enforce all established Athletic Department team travel and code of conduct policies when away from Girard College.
- Perform constant evaluation of team and individual performances.
- Assist in academic monitoring and support for all student-athletes.
- Work with athletic training staff as needed for prevention and care of player injuries and other health-related issues.
- Develop Coaching Philosophy in accordance with Girard College’s mission and vision.
- Communicate effectively and consistently with players, coaches, administrators, faculty, staff and parents.
- Oversee intramural basketball program (grades 7,8)
Staff Development and Management
- Recommend for hire, train, and evaluate assistant coaching staff. This may include managing staff on a daily basis, addressing and resolving any challenges, and conducting performance reviews.
- Make decisions regarding utilization of basketball staff members.
- Mentor staff
- Evaluate and make recommendations for personnel actions for coaches and basketball support staff.
- Determine the system of play to be used
- Exercise good judgment in protecting positive coaching behavior. Maintains (teams)proper conduct during practice and traveling, as well as playing
- Ensure that no athlete is permitted to participate until all appropriate “check-out” procedures have been completed.
- Clean and refuel vans as needed
- Pick up bag lunches/dinner from Dining Services
- Remain with the team during dinner (if dinner occurs after 6:00 p.m.)
End of Season
- Arrange for the systematic return of all school equipment and hold the athlete responsible for equipment not returned.