You’re not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day. Together. We’re a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact – on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do MoreTM.
The Manufacturing Engineer leads manufacturing focused projects from inception to completion by supporting and implementing lean principles. This position seeks to understand the needs of the customer and drives projects to completion with limited supervision on tactical steps of the process. This position identifies, understands, and maps current and future state processes and understands the impact of the processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Act as a liaison between production and engineering through new product implementation and manufacturing improvement projects. Ensures reliable and consistent output based on standardized processes through project management and implementation.
2. Formulate documentation and sharing of best practices and standard work to improve flow of material and people throughout and across plants.
3. Develop, lead, and follow established standardization of methods, processes, and design features. Document current and future state processes to analyze impact across functional areas.
Education and/or Experience
- 4-year college degree in Industrial Technology or Mechanical/Industrial/Agricultural Engineering with intern/work experience in engineering, production, or construction.
- Or a High School Diploma with a minimum of 5 years manufacturing or engineering experience.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and coordinate projects to meet established deadlines through multiple segments including but not limited to: service, engineering, welding, assembly and machine shop across business segments.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and rapidly changing work environment.
- Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with customers and co-workers and maintain positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness.
- Able to utilize lean principles to drive improvement and acts as a champion of the change.
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of assembly and welding techniques, Just-In-Time manufacturing processes, and statistical process variation. Ability to read and understand mechanical, electrical and hydraulic drawings.
- Ability to understand problems from a customer's perspective and produce a mutually acceptable result leading to improved quality and efficiency for the customer.
- Ability to influence others without formal authority. Partners well across functions and groups in all areas of the business. Able to effectively negotiate and discuss areas of concern.
- Ability to follow established processes.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently driven by customer needs.
- Ability to examine, analyze, and map current processes. Utilizes current information to creatively develop new processes to continually drive improvement.
Up to 5% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
Iowa State University Research Park is a 220+ acre development with more than 550,000 square feet of current building space. We are located in Ames, Iowa, just south of the Iowa State University campus. We connect tenants with resources they need to profit from their research, including facilities, expertise, technology, financing, recruiting and more. ISU Research Park is an innovation community ...and incubator for new and expanding businesses. The Park also assists startup Iowa-based companies develop their potential and nurtures scientific and technological entrepreneurial ventures.