University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking to fill multiple Elevator Technician positions. This position will be filled either as an Elevator Technician I or Elevator Technician II based on the selected candidate's qualifications. Under general supervision, the selected candidate inspects, maintains, calibrates, modifies electrical and electronic circuitry and electrical, electronic, hydraulic and mechanical equipment of passenger and freight elevator systems and power lift systems.
BENEFITS: UMB offers a generous benefits package that starts with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University of Maryland System schools.
PRIMARY DUTIES for Elevator Technician I:
1. Conducts diagnostic tests for malfunctions in elevator and other conveying systems by using specialized computer based diagnostic software and standalone programming tools from various elevator control manufacturers.
2. Installs, repairs, replaces, calibrates, and reprograms elevator control system equipment, such as microprocessor based computerized floor selectors, electronic motor variable frequency drives, door operators, velocity encoders and other electrical, electronic and high pressure elevator hydraulic systems.
3. Reads and interprets blueprints, diagrams, sketches, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical schematics and job specifications.
4. Performs elevator safety inspections and maintains appropriate records.
5. Responds to elevator emergencies and may assist in rescue efforts.
PRIMARY DUTIES for Elevator Technician II:
1. Provides technical direction and assistance to elevator personnel in adjusting, and troubleshooting malfunctions of complex elevator control systems.
2. Identifies and corrects malfunctions, analyzes and develops solutions to problems with complex mechanical, electrical, and electronic circuits on various types of elevator equipment.
3. Installs, upgrades, rewires, modifies and/or replaces parts and equipment according to specifications. Inspects, tests, and adjusts newly installed equipment using various computer based elevator manufacturers tools and equipment.
4. Reads and interprets blueprints, diagrams, sketches, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical schematics and job specifications.
5. Performs scheduled preventive maintenance on elevators.
6. Prepares estimates of time, labor, and materials and other reports.
7. Operates and maintains tools and equipment of the trade including specialized diagnostic equipment and software.
8. Responds to elevator emergencies and may assist in rescue efforts.
9. May lead special projects.
10. Guides and trains maintenance personnel.
11. May serve in a lead capacity to cover scheduling and assignment of work.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
For Elevator Technician I : EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED required. EXPERIENCE: Four years recent, active and progressively responsible experience in the elevator industry, in construction, maintenance, and service or repair of elevators as an elevator technician/mechanic.*
For Elevator Technician II : EDUCATION: High School Diploma EXPERIENCE: Six years recent, active and progressively responsible experience in the elevator industry, in construction, maintenance, and service or repair of elevators as an elevator technician/mechanic. Prior experience in an adjustor position providing advanced troubleshooting and diagnostics is preferred.*
* Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
OTHER: Employees in an Elevator Technician position must be licensed as an elevator mechanic by the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulations. Certification by a nationally recognized training program (such as NAEC, etc.) as an Elevator Technician preferred and participation in mandated continuing education program to keep licensure and/or certification current.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge, skills and experience in maintaining and upgrading elevators. Experience troubleshooting and repairing complex single and multiphase AC and DC variable speed motor drives and controls, various types of elevator relay logic or solid state control systems using conventional diagnostic equipment along with specialized computer based manufacturers diagnostic tools. Comprehensive knowledge of OSHA and other applicable regulations and codes related to the elevator trade. Ability to read, interpret, and work from blueprints, drawings, electronic and electrical schematics, and specifications. Ability to work in, around, over and under fixed machinery and equipment; to work from ladders and scaffolding; to manipulate heavy equipment, tools and/or exert force up to 70 lbs.; to concurrently manipulate multiple controls on machinery and equipment; to work in hazardous and irritating environments, confined spaces, elevator shafts and pits; to wear and work with personal protective equipment.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Job: Reg or CII Non-Exempt Staff - 0000
Employee Class : Non-Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Shift: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
Organization: Division of Facilities Maintenance
Job Posting: Dec 19, 2018
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Internal Number: 111203
About University of Maryland, Baltimore
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is the State's public health, law and human services university devoted to excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service. As a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and using state-of-the-art technological support, we educate leaders in health care delivery, biomedical science, global health, social work and the law. We emphasize interdisciplinary education and research in an atmosphere that explicitly values civility, diversity, collaboration, teamwork and accountability. By conducting internationally recognized research to cure disease and to improve the health, social functioning and just treatment of the people we serve, we foster economic development in the City, State, and nation. We are committed to ensuring that the knowledge we generate provides maximum benefit to society and directly enhances our various communities.