JOB SUMMARY: Conducts computer forensic investigations, data recovery and electronic discovery under occasional guidance. Conducts small and medium scale vulnerability assessments and threat analysis for the environment. Troubleshoots and resolves complex security issues. Implements small and medium technology projects or components of large projects. Ability to solve medium to complex problems.
Conducts computer investigations.
Responds and/or mitigates security breaches and attacks to the infrastructure.
Conducts vulnerability and threat analysis for the environment.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
INCIDENT RESPONSE - (NOVICE):- Demonstrates the ability to respond quickly to reports from individuals. Takes immediate action to stop an incident from continuing or recurring. Determines whether an incident should be handled locally or reported to the IT Security Response Team. Works with the IT support staff to repair a system, restore service, and preserve evidence of the incident. Handles sensitive and other critical responses in a professional manner. Evaluates and documents investigation findings after resolving an incident.
VULNERABILITY ASSESSMENTS (NOVICE):- Demonstrates the ability to successfully review basic Internet connections and internal networks to identify standard hacker/cracker threats. Able to review the configuration of server and major network applications to identify configuration errors and other problems that weaken organizational systems and increase their likelihood of misuse. Has conducted an assessment of at least one of the following:  access controls, governing access to applications and files,  password controls, determining permissible choice of passwords and governing the requirement to change passwords,  connectivity controls [e.g., open ports/ enabled protocols] influencing permissible communications to and from a computer system,  inappropriate files [including viruses, worms, Trojan horses, bootleg software, music files, inappropriate image files], and  unpatched software, bringing attention to available security-related patches that have not been deployed. Has basic knowledge of several of the following: network foot-printing, port scanning, and enumeration techniques, specific operating system vulnerabilities [like Win-NT, *nix,Win-2K, Solaris], web server vulnerabilities, application level exploits, worms, viruses, and Trojans, network vulnerabilities, sniffing, wireless sniffing, IP spoofing, and PPTP/VPN breaking. Generate security reports for management that show system safety and incident reporting.
ANOMALY DETECTION (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate Anomaly Detection practices in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Has a basic understanding of network behavior analysis techniques and tools. Capable of using Intrusion Detection Systems software.
MALWARE ANALYSIS (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate Malware Analysis in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Has determined the behavior and purpose of a simple malware threat, and eliminated it from the Company's computers. Familiar with Dynamic Analysis, the analysis of software during its execution on a computer or in an virtual machine, and Static Analysis, the method to look at the component without any execution on the component itself. Has used basic Malware Analysis tools and products.
NETWORK FORENSICS (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate Network Forensics in practical applications of moderate difficulty.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.