A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check.
This is NOT a sensitive position.
Campus Security Authority
Campus Security Authority Statement
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
Designated Personnel Statement
A “designated position” could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.
This is NOT a designated position.
Statement of Economic Interest
Statement of Economic Interest Statement
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.
Restricted Position Statement
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding.
This is a restricted position.
Chief Objective of Position
The Manager of Athletics Administration will report to the Director of Athletics and manage the daily operation of all compliance activities, oversee corporate sponsorship sales and service, and supervise the staffing of special events for the department. The Manager of Athletics Administration will exercise excellent independent judgment in working with administrators across the university and all head coaches to ensure the NCAA, conference and institutional compliance of Christopher Newport University. The Manager of Athletics Administration must be able to successfully develop and cultivate relationships with key constituents, be an effective communicator and successfully navigate multiple priorities at once.
1. Responsible for the daily management of NCAA, conference and institutional compliance, including certification of eligibility for all student-athletes, daily roster management in Banner, rules education and interpretation, waiver processes and all mandatory reports.
2. Compile and brief athletics administrative team on all potential NCAA legislation.
3. Cultivate, solicit and steward corporate partners for the department of athletics with excellent customer service.
4. Serve as an event administrator, as assigned, for various sporting events hosted on campus, or in post-season competition.
5. Coordinate the preparation and submission of NCAA tournament bids and reconciliations.
6. Coordinate staffing by department personnel of post-season and special events.
7. Assist the Director of Athletics with special projects, as assigned.
8. Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
9. Review, interpret and apply NCAA bylaws as requested by the athletics administrative team and athletics staff.
10. Approve declared playing and practice season and execute game contracts for all sports.
11. Develop and execute a plan to provide NCAA rules education and compliance to student-athletes and athletic department staff.
12. Responsible for documentation of all transfer request for the department of athletics.
13. This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
14. Develops and maintains very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully supports the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
15. Reviews and communicates safety issues to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absence.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Exceptional writing skills along with strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task. Ability to build strong inter-personal relationships with various constituents.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred
Working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations and knowledge of, or ability to learn Christopher Newport University and Capital Athletic Conference rules and regulations.
Masters degree required or Bachelor’s degree in a related field and experience that equates to a graduate degree.
Experience working in an intercollegiate athletics department or conference office.
Experience interpreting and applying relevant NCAA bylaws in an intercollegiate athletics department. Experience working in a customer service oriented environment.
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 385 Best Colleges: 2020 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience — great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. A “student-first, teaching-first” community, CNU is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia and enrolls 5,100 students. Academic programs at CNU encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University has recently completed over $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus, generated over 7,200 applications for a freshmen class of 1,238 and has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as third among public regional universities in the South and sixth among all regional universities in the South. In addition, CNU is ranked third among all public schools for having "the highest proportion of classes with fewer than 20 students.” Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We seek exceptional and diverse candidates and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application. Review of applications will begin November 21, 2019. Applications received after November 21, 2019, will be accepted but considered only if needed. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity.
About Christopher Newport University
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 385 Best Colleges: 2020 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience – great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls 5,100 students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. Academic programs at Christopher Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University has recently completed more than $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus, generated over 7,200 applications for a freshmen class of 1,240 and has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as 3rd among public regional universities in the South and 6th overall. Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored, and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We recruit exceptional and diverse faculty and encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, and other individuals who are underrepresented in their profession.