The Benefits Office within University Human Resources is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Senior Benefits Specialist. The Senior Benefits specialist provides specialized knowledge and expert insurance and retirement benefits information to students, staff, retirees, and potential participants in the University of Iowa benefit programs. Additional duties to include:
* Consult with faculty, staff, students, retirees and departments regarding benefit eligibility requirements and program guidelines; Counsel employees who are considering retirement, review retirement options, assist employees with completing paperwork to continue benefits post-retirement.
* Serve as liaison between the University and external insurance carriers and/or governmental agencies. * Maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the public. * Administer the University insurance and retirement benefit programs; ensure compliance with program guidelines and deadlines, resolve issues and problems, and evaluate and improve processes.
* Analyze data, perform various mathematical calculations to determine the appropriate amount of an employee's program options.
* Identify and develop new education and training programs on benefit programs, such as employee benefit orientation sessions for new employees and students or special sessions on specific insurance or retirement programs.
* Conduct employee benefit orientation sessions for new employees and retirees or special sessions on specific insurance or retirement programs.
* A Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Demonstrates extensive experience and the ability to provide excellent service and meet or exceed customer service needs and expectations. * Demonstrates working knowledge of approaches, tools, and techniques for recognizing, anticipating, and resolving problems; ability to work through diverse situations.
* Demonstrates extensive proficiency in the communication techniques and relationship building skills that enables the ability to work with a variety of individuals and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner. * Demonstrates extensive proficiency and ability to plan and deliver education/training regarding benefit programs. * Demonstrates extensive proficiency and ability to manage multiple concurrent objectives, projects, or activities, making effective judgments as to prioritizing and time allocation. * Demonstrate extensive proficiency and ability to work with a variety of individuals and groups in a constructive and civil manner while appreciating the unique contribution of individuals from varied cultures, race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
* Demonstrates extensive proficiency in using office supports tools available on the desktop (e.g. email, word processing, presentation software, spreadsheets and databases).
* Working experience with University of Iowa systems (e.g. PeopleSoft/HRIS, Student Information System/MAUI, etc.).
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the submission.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background and credential check. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Internal Number: 19004987_1574803422
About University of Iowa
With over 31,000 students, the University of Iowa is one of the nation's top public research universities, a member of the Big Ten conference and the Association of American Universities. The University of Iowa is composed of eleven colleges and is known around the world for its balanced commitment to the arts, sciences, and humanities. It is home to one of the nation's largest academic medical centers and the pioneering Iowa Writers' Workshop. The University of Iowa promotes work/life integration and is located in the casual yet cosmopolitan environment of Iowa City, widely recognized as one of the country's most livable communities.