Job no: 500432 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 520192 - Student Housing - Facilities Admin Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Support Staff Position Open Date: Jul 29 2020
Perform maintenance and repair in areas of refrigeration, air-conditioning, heating, electrical, lighting, and general mechanics of buildings, equipment, and facilities.
The Department of Housing and Residence Life strives to create a "home away from home" where students are individually and collectively challenged and supported in the journey to become mature, contributing citizens in a global community.
In support of the mission of Mississippi State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the Department of Housing and Residence Life cultivates an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to learn and grow beyond the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The below essential duties are representative of major duties of positions in this position. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job. Not all of the duties may be assigned to a position.
1. Perform preventive maintenance on air conditioners, heating, and refrigeration equipment. 2. Make electrical, ventilating, plumbing, air conditioning, and refrigeration repairs. 3. Erect and work from ladders, scaffolds, swing stages, boom trucks, and similar devices. 4. Construct various structures or equipment for special events. 5. Determining type of materials and supplies to be used. 6. Adapt commercially available materials to fit needs. 7. Document job time and materials used. 8. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent
2. 2-4 years experience in commercial, industrial, or residential building maintenance
3. Valid driver's license
4. Universal Refrigeration Certification
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment, occupational hazards, and safety precautions of refrigeration, air conditioning, and heating units. 2. Knowledge of electrical 120/240/480 volt applications. 3. Knowledge of applicable building codes, rules, and regulations. 4. Ability to exercise tact and discretion with customers and the public.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., with one often to the point of being objectionable. Injuries may require professional treatment. Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor. This job may require working overtime and some out of town travel.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds. Job occasionally requires sitting, climbing or balancing, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Submit application and any requested documents online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Internal Number: 500432
About Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
To apply, please go to http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/