Instrument Design Engineer-2002192 We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We achieve this through our commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence, which gives us the opportunity to set and deliver on ambitious, long-term goals.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team--especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. This allows for our employees to innovate and generate new ideas, put them into action, and gain insights from them to further advance our collective expertise.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine in 2020 as one of America's Best Employers. We strongly support the spirit of collaboration through effectively involving team members and colleagues from other relevant units when developing and executing strategies and projects. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
We are seeking a professional like you to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for leading the Instrumentation design efforts on all phases of small to medium sized greenfield and brownfield capital and expense projects for BASF Freeport. This will include, but not be limited to scope development, cost estimating, specification, procurement, construction packages, quality assurance, and technical support for startup and commissioning. You will collaborate with a team of internal and external partners to ensure the successful completion of assigned projects.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Formula for Success
* Leveraging your education in either Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Computer Engineering, along with your extensive I&C engineering experience in a manufacturing environment, you will provide engineering expertise and leadership for the instrument design engineering for execution of capital and expense projects.
* Demonstrating your extensive technical knowledge, you will lead the engineering efforts for Instrumentation manhour estimates, material take offs, specification of flow/level/pressure/temperature and valve technologies, as well as provide guidance to I&E designers for expected deliverables in a construction work package while ensuring adherence to BASF Technical Standards, Industry Standards, and applicable regulatory codes.
* Your familiarization with SIS will be a valued asset as you participate in the design, specification, application, installation, and testing of Safety Instrumented Systems. This includes participating in PHA's, LOPA's, HAZOP's, and Functional Safety Assessments / Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Studies, overseeing the development of test plans, proof test procedures, Safety Requirements Specifications, input to Cause & Effect diagrams, logic narratives, SIS hardware/software configuration, and inspection, Factory & Site Acceptance Testing (FAT/SAT), loop checks, commissioning & startup support, and providing assurance that SIS designs meet both project and corporate specifications, as well as industry standards
* Your flexibility and agility to manage several projects with different and changing priorities will be key as you effectively execute Instrument design, provide technical expertise on maintenance activities, and troubleshoot during construction and startup.
* Your proven ability to collaborate will be essential as you engage with a multi-discipline team, inclusive of project engineering, operations, maintenance, construction, procurement, project controls, instrumentation vendors, and external engineering partners.
* Your strong passion for problem solving and innovation will be a valued asset as you independently drive safe, sustainable, and innovative solutions to opportunities within the design work process to further increase the efficiency and predictability of capital projects.
* Your superior communication and interpersonal skills will serve you well as you participate in project meetings, propose alternate value-based engineering savings, serve on standardization initiatives, and engage with Technical Expertise, Technical Rules Committee, and Peer Working Groups.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you--the whole you--in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.
Primary Location: US-TX-Freeport
Function: ENGI - Engineering & Technical Service
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: GEN/OF-FRPT Engineering-63014105
Internal Number: 631620
About BASF Corporation
At BASF, we create chemistry – and have been doing so for 150 years. Our portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. As the world’s leading chemical company, we combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future.