Incumbents of positions in this series perform janitorial, custodial, housekeeping, grounds keeping or maintenance tasks in a state educational institution.
Summary of Duties
The basic purpose of this work is to perform various manual tasks required for the routine maintenance of the buildings and grounds of an educational campus.
Primary job responsibilities include:
1. Cleans campus property such as offices, classrooms, corridors, walls, floors, windows, furniture, woodwork, toilets, lavatories or fixtures by washing, waxing, buffing, sweeping, polishing, dusting or vacuum cleaning; and empties and cleans waste barrels, garbage cans and other waste receptacles
2. Operates wheel tractors, electric trimmers, buffers or other similar mechanical or power-driven equipment; drives a truck
3. Performs routine manual tasks involved in the maintenance, repair or beautification of campus grounds or roads, such as cutting grass, weeds or brush; cleaning culverts, gutters, catch-basins, drains or ditches: loading and unloading vehicles: moving and setting up furniture; spreading sand, gravel, loam or asphalt; digging ditches or post¬ holes; setting or pulling posts; repairing guardrails or fences; patching concrete or asphalt surfaces; maintaining, erecting or repairing signs; cleaning or marking roadways or parking lots: erecting or dismantling snow fences; painting fences, posts, guardrails or building exteriors.
4. Sweeps sidewalks, rakes and collects leaves, collects and hauls debris or rubbish, shovels snow, sands roadways or walkways; performs other manual tasks involved with snow removal, control and disposal
5. Makes general repairs of a simple nature, including minor repairs to grounds keeping equipment Additional job duties are:
6. Performs routine laboring tasks to assist skilled tradespeople engaged in maintenance, repair or construction work using hand and electrical tools appropriate to craft, such as assisting with the dismantling, fabrication, alteration and construction of building structures and building systems
7. Plants, seeds, transplants, removes, prunes, trims, waters, sprays or fertilizes trees, shrubbery, grass, plants or flowers; participates in the propagation, growth and care of flowers, plants and shrubs; assists in planning and executing horticultural designs for grounds beautification
8. Cleans, washes, refuels, oils or greases trucks or automobiles; performs other manual tabor tasks in connection with the maintenance and operation of a garage or equipment depot
9. Performs manual labor in a stockroom, storeroom or warehouse, such as loading or unloading freight, materials or equipment; receiving, unpacking and storing goods, materials and equipment: checking item specifications against orders; assisting in taking inventories; restocking depleted stores; keeping records of goods received and issued; filling requisition orders; delivering goods to departments; weighing and packaging bulk materials; and cleaning and organizing the storeroom area
10. Replace light bulbs as needed and reports hazardous and unusual situations to the appropriate authority
11. Keeps simple records, such as vehicle maintenance logs or inventory counts
Massachusetts College of Art and Design is a public, independent institution that prepares artists, designers, and educators from diverse backgrounds to shape communities, economies, and cultures for the common good, and demonstrate our values by:
Pursuing a just, compassionate, and equitable learning environment.
Cultivating rigorous creative practices by observing, questioning, making and remaking.
Honoring courage, honesty, mutual respect, and self-expression.
Believing in the power of art and design to transform our world.
Please note that MassArt does not provide employment-based visa sponsorship or non-student exchange visitor visa sponsorship for administrators, managers, technical staff, library staff or support staff. All offers of employment are based on appropriate U.S. work authorization.
MassArt currently does not provide reimbursement for travel.
Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check relative to prior criminal convictions and pending cases, as well as Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) checks relative to prior sexual offenses committed as an adult or juvenile will be conducted on the final candidate prior to an offer of employment. MassArt requires specific written authorization to conduct background checks. Failure to provide such authorization shall preclude your application from receiving further consideration.
- Active driver's license - Ability to operate facilities related equipment such as buffing machines, floor stripping and waxing machines, scrubbing machines, and vacuums
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions - Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities - Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others - Ability to deal tactfully with others - Ability to stand or walk for prolonged periods of time - Ability to lift and carry heavy objects - Ability to climb and work on ladders and scaffolds - Physical stamina and endurance - Manual dexterity - Mechanical aptitude
- Willingness to learn how to operate a Bobcat machine
Internal Number: 00089
About Massachusetts College of Art & Design
The five educational institutions that make up Colleges of the Fenway view diversity as a key component in the growth of our students' educational experience as well as our ongoing journey as professionals charged with maintaining the world class status of our institutions. By drawing from a wide cultural palette, we ensure that we have access to the full range of talent available. Through our respect for the vast array of backgrounds we create an environment that will help that talent grow. It is within an environment of respect that we are able to build and work toward our goals. Our goal is to create an atmosphere that values mutual respect. All Colleges of the Fenway members have policies and practices designed to safeguard our healthy environment as well as provide the support and access needed to do so. The Colleges of the Fenway are located in the heart of Bostons academic, scientific and cultural communities and is within walking distance from landmarks such as the Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway Park, Symphony Hall and world renowned medical institutions. Jobs at Emmanuel College: http://emmanuel.edu/About_Emmanuel/Employment.htmlJobs at Massachusetts College of Art and Design...: http://www.massart.edu/About_MassArt/Careers.htmlJobs at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: http://www.mcphs.edu/about-mcphs/careers-at-mcphsJobs at Simmons College: http://simmons.edu/overview/about/jobs/Jobs at Wentworth Institute of Technology: https://jobs.wit.edu/