This is a great opportunity to work with and learn from some of the best in the industry on maintaining differing turfgrasses in a diverse atmosphere. With several projects scheduled, there is a great opportunity to gain construction experience. The Assistant Superintendent reporting to the Director of Greens and Grounds and Superintendent will be responsible for supervising the maintenance of the golf courses, to keep appropriate records and will also be tasked with updating budget/ chemical spreadsheets.
The Assistant Superintendent performs all supervisory functions for subordinates, develops performance standards, provides training, and directs work of others. The Assistant Superintendent will also work closely with the Director of G&G and the Superintendent on all projects related to both golf courses.
- 2-4 years degree in agronomy/horticulture/plant/soil sciences desired or equivalent knowledge.
- Experience in all phases of golf course management and turf culture.
- Planning, scheduling, and managing a large staff
- Certified and/or licensed in pesticide usage. Must obtain Florida Pesticide license within six months of hire.
- Participating knowledge of the game of golf.
- Thorough knowledge of the construction establishment, and maintenance practices employed on golf course putting greens, tees, fairways, roughs, and bunkers; planting and culture of turf grasses used on golf courses; the planting, cultivating, and pruning of ornamental plants, shrubs, and trees; the characteristics and proper use of various fertilizers and soil conditioners; pest control methods and materials; drainage methods; watering practices and irrigation systems, including wells, pumps, and automatic controls.
- Must possess the ability to train, motivate, and effectively direct, through the assistant golf course superintendent the work of employees in a safe, efficient manner; procure, maintain an inventory of, and supervise the proper use of chemicals, pesticides, parts, materials, and supplies, prepare clear reports; execute the authorized expenditures; keep needed records relating to payrolls, personnel, operations, equipment, chemicals, and safety; and maintain effective employee and public relations.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.
Physical Demands and work environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the individual must be able to perform physically demanding manual labor, which includes standing, kneeling and sitting on wheel-driven equipment for long periods of time. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. Walking up to 2 miles daily may be required in certain job functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to extreme heat and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; insect nuisance and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Additional Salary Information: includes medical, dental insurance, 401-(k) saving plan and paid time off
Internal Number: 2172021
About The Oaks Club
A jewel on Florida’s peaceful Sun Coast close to downtown Sarasota, The Oaks Club is the embodiment of beauty and vitality. This private, member-owned country club offers the finest of amenities. Members come from all over the United States and throughout the world to reside in one of three gated communities. This diverse Club is ideal for those seeking the finest location, an enviable lifestyle, and exceptional, sustainable value. The Oaks Club consist of 36 holes with Croquet lawn. Both courses not only have different grasses, but also different architects. Some of the turfgrass include St. Augustine, zoysia, Bahia, Supreme Paspalum, Platinum Paspalum, TifEagle, TifGrande. and Celebration.