Golf Course Superintendent (Atunyote @ Turning Stone Resort)
Turning Stone Resort Casino offers 72 holes of golf, with a trio of 18-hole championship courses that have earned the resort recognition as one of the northeast’s premier golf destinations. Three preeminent golf course architects -- Tom Fazio, Robert Trent Jones Jr. and Rick Smith -- have each crafted masterpieces at Turning Stone.
The parkland setting of Atunyote (the Oneida word for 'eagle') features vast stretches of open space, gently rolling hills, streams with small waterfalls, and several lakes. This Tom Fazio design was home to the former PGA tour stop, The Turning Stone Resort Championship (2007-2010) that produced notable winners Matt Kuchar and Dustin Johnson and was also the host of the PGA Professionals Championship in 2006 and 2016. Atunyote is consistently ranked in Golf Digest - America’s 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses & Golfweek - Top 100 Best Courses You Can Play in the US (#68).
The Superintendent is entrusted with the maintenance, operation, and management of the Atunyote golf course at the Turning Stone Resort.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Assists the Director of Golf & Grounds in overseeing the maintenance of Turning Stone Resort’s Atunyote golf course.
2. Frequently inspects courses, monitors the condition and maturity, and evaluates how well standards are being met.
3. Plans all maintenance and project work; delegates duties and expedites daily workflow ensuring efficiency of operations.
4. Maintains the inventory needed to maintain the courses; purchases equipment, orders necessary supplies and oversees the equipment maintenance programs.
5. Trains, directs and supervises staff; conducts performance appraisals and ensures performance standards are achieved by staff; participates in and/or makes recommendations related to employment actions such as hiring/firing, promotion and disciplinary procedures.
6. Ensures that staffing levels are maintained to meet business demand.
7. Assists in the development of departmental budgets, implementing cost control measures to keep expenses in line with approved budgets.
8. Reviews payroll reports for accurate work hour totals and makes adjustments when needed.
9. Instructs staff in proper equipment use and work methods to ensure safety standards are met.
10. Keeps accurate records on maintenance procedures, pesticide applications, labor hours, etc.
11. Participates in snow plowing, shoveling and the operation of snow removal equipment to clear snow from roadways, lots, sidewalks and paths as necessary.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Significant experience in turf management and advanced knowledge and turf grass management practices.
Five+ years experience as a superintendent or assistant superintendent at a high end facility.
Working knowledge of golf course construction principles, practices and methods.
Excellent leadership, interpersonal and administrative skills.
Experience managing a staff of 25+.
Responsible for preparing an annual operating budget for the department. Manages monthly expenses including payroll, supplies, chemicals, and fertilizers to align with budget.
Must be available to maintain flexible schedule.
Must possess or be able to obtain a state pesticide license within three months of hire date.
Thorough understanding of the rules and strategies of the game of golf.
Knowledge of laws and regulations affecting the management of golf course operations- including employment, safety, and environmental standards.
Valid New York State driver’s license (or ability to obtain one upon establishing residency).
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Additional Salary Information: Paid Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K match up to 5%, Annual Bonus, Uniforms, Cell Phone, Local & National Memberships & Conferences. Continuing Education Reimbursement.
About Turning Stone Resort
JOIN OUR AWARD-WINNING TEAM
Year after year, Oneida Nation Enterprises strives to provide the best in service and hospitality to the millions of guests who visit our properties. The awards and honors our operations receive set us apart as an industry leader in the region, and highlight the dedication of our employees. We are actively looking for hospitality pros -- experienced hotel staff, dealers, servers, bartenders, managers, and more to be a part of our award-winning team.
Recent awards include:
Forbes Travel Guide, the global authority on luxury travel, has named Turning Stone Resort Casino among the first hotels in the world to become Sharecare Health Security VERIFIED®. The Forbes Travel Guide VERIFIED status is based on the resort’s compliance with expert-validated best practices that minimize the risk and impact of COVID-19 and potential future public health events. With only about 160 hotels in the United States to earn this distinction, Turning Stone is in elite company with other luxury resorts including The Ritz Carlton, Waldorf Astoria and The St. Regis.
Forbes Travel Guide awarded Turning Stone Resort Casino with four of its Four-Star awards. Turning Sto...ne is recognized as the only resort in New York to earn four Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star Awards, and the only resort in the state with honors in every award category: Hotel, Restaurant & Spa. Wildflowers and TS Steakhouse are the only Forbes-rated restaurants in New York outside of New York City and Ska:na: Spa remains the only Forbes-rated spa in Upstate New York. Only properties that meet Forbes’ extremely high hospitality standards, the most stringent in the industry, are able to achieve a Four Star rating.
Turning Stone Resort Casino was once again named #1 Best Overall Gaming Resort by Casino Player Magazine in its 2020 list of “Best of Gaming Awards.” Turning Stone also was recognized with a record high of 27 total industry awards from the magazine. The magazine’s annual Best of Gaming award-winners are hand-selected by casino visitors themselves. In addition to being named the #1 Best Overall Gaming Resort in New York for the fifth straight year, Turning Stone was recognized across the board for its outstanding games, luxury accommodations, exciting sports book, exceptional golf, and expert staff, earning 17 first-place awards.
Three Best in Golf Awards from Northeast Golf Magazine: Best Travel Resorts & Destinations, Best Public Golf Courses for Atunyote and Shenendoah and PGA Teaching Professional Marty Nowicki was named among Best Instructors in New York. Golfweek named all three 18-hole course among the top in the country.
Spas of America named Ska:na: as the No. 1 spa in New York State and among the tops spas in all of North America.
AAA awarded Turning Stone three Four Diamond Awards, and TS Steakhouse, Wildflowers and Pino Bianco received Wine Spectator’s highly-respected Awards of Excellence.
Oneida Nation Enterprises also was recognized as a ‘2020 Economic Champion’ by CenterState CEO, the region’s leading economic development organization. As the largest employer in the Mohawk Valley area and a diverse organization with various brands in hospitality, gaming, retail industries and more, the Oneida Indian
Nation’s success is tied directly to the success of the region. This recognition highlights the Nation’s ability to work with partners for the benefit of the entire Central New York community.