To interact with MJM Members in a professional manner about the use and cost of electricity and promote the value-added services offered by MJM and treat all Members with respect and dignity.
To coordinate work with other departments to produce excellent public relations by providing service with minimum delay and at minimum cost.
To design electric lines within all standards and specifications to ensure adequate, safe and reliable service to the Members.
To provide timely, accurate, informative customer service for the site developers/contractors/Members.
To consistently comply with all MJM safety rules and policies.
Other objectives include:
Provide a positive image.
Seeks to maximize efficiency within the office as well as contribute insights and opinions.
Ensures security and confidentiality of data.
Serves as a team player.
Understands group process and conflict resolution.
Cooperates with all employees in maintaining good working relationships.
CUSTOMERS SERVED BY THIS POSITION:
Site Developers and Contractors
Members of Affiliated Organizations
1. Remains current on all long- and short-range operational work plans to design and complete staking requirements for construction of the electric distribution system including primary and secondary conductors, transformers, voltage regulators, capacitors, oil circuit reclosers and metering equipment.
2. Verifies that all design and staking complies with the National Electric Safety Code and MJM’s line extension policies. Reports irregularities and abnormal conditions to the Director of Engineering.
3. Stakes power lines and draws staking sheets for new services and system improvements.
4. While in transit, surveys and makes visual inspection of all facilities for defects, proper clearance, and potential safety hazards.
5. Secures right-of-way easements when needed.
6. Detects all service entrance locations and determines transformer and conductor sizes from information provided.
7. Makes changes and updates on maps.
8. Discusses with developers their construction schedules and power requirements.
9. Works to satisfy developer/contractor/Member needs while conveying MJM policies, rules and regulations.
10. Clarifies with developers what equipment will be furnished by MJM and what the Member will furnish to meet the developer’s requirements.
11. Assists with voltage complaints, interprets data, and takes corrective action; follows-up with appropriate staff.
12. Knowledge of TWACS equipment, distribution equipment and electric metering equipment.
13. Knowledge of Member owned distributed generation and interconnection to MJM facilities. Assist members when needed.
14. Completes and files any reports/forms used relating to the performance of duties or as required by law or regulations.
15. Safeguards fellow workers’ health and welfare by maintaining an alert attitude to possible hazards.
16. Operates MJM vehicles in accordance with all laws.
17. Must be able to perform overtime as required, especially during adverse weather conditions to maintain MJM’s operating condition.
18. Must be flexible to accommodate appointments before and/or after regular business hours.
19. Fulfills other duties as required within the skill and training of the position.
REPORTS TO: Director of Engineering
Mathematical Skills – Must have the ability to apply basic concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability – Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Will be expected to obtain and present the necessary facts to create a cost/benefit-oriented business case for new/upgraded electrical services to the Director of Engineering.
Language Skills – Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Must have the ability to write reports, technical forms, and business correspondence. Must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, Members, and the general public.
Computer Skills – Should have knowledge of the GIS mapping system, staking program, NISC consumer information system; and Microsoft, Excel, Word and Outlook. Must be able to utilize PC systems, mobile devices, and related software applications.
Other Skills – Must have the ability to learn MJM’s service area and distribution systems. Must have the ability to understand the installation of transformers, wiring of transformer banks, regulators, capacitors, and other special equipment.
Living Distance – Must reside within 20 miles of MJM’s headquarters in Carlinville.
Must be able to daily walk, stoop, bend, lift and carry up to 25lbs on a frequent basis, climb, kneel, reach, crawl, push, pull, and work in awkward positions and enclosed spaces.
Must be able to tolerate working in an outside work environment in varying weather conditions as well as working at an inside desk for extended hours.
PERSONAL, EDUCATION AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
High school graduate.
Technical courses in distribution systems staking (certification preferred). Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
Basic computer skills needed to work with Microsoft Office computer applications such as Word and Excel.
TWACS familiarity helpful.
Need high-level of communication skills with employees and members.
Valid driver’s license.
Exhibits respect and courtesy to the customer whether a Member, another employee, an MJM contracted vendor/supplier or goods and services, or staff of affiliated organization. Values the member by communicating with tact and diplomacy. Uses listening skills to determine the member’s expectations. Views self as a problem solver who can seek and find solutions. Responds promptly to member’s request either by handling the request or forwarding to the employee who can: follows up to see that expectations were met. Deals with change in a flexible, positive manner. Views self as an ambassador of the cooperative demonstrating and communicating a positive image of their own professionalism and that of the cooperative.
GENERAL BUSINESS KNOWLEDGE:
Demonstrates high-level skill in the performance of his/her trade or profession. Understands how the business works and stays current with the changes occurring in both the industry and the personal job. Visibly demonstrates commitment to continual improvement in processes and self-development. Demonstrates an ability to look at the “big picture” for processes rather than an individual task. Understands the costs by working efficiently and using cost effective materials and equipment. Understands that value and safety are important aspects of the business. Is a team player working to make the cooperative responsive, proactive, and of value to the community.
Since 1939, MJM Electric Cooperative has been serving more than 7,800 members in portions of Jersey, Macoupin, Montgomery, Bond, Fayette, Greene and Madison counties. MJM Electric Cooperative employs over 30 dedicated team members and has annual revenues of $20 million. MJM Electric Cooperative is a member of Wabash Valley Power Alliance and the Association of Illinois Electric Cooperatives.