Position Title: Lead Perennial Gardener/Horticulturist
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week (Generally M-F 7:30 am – 4:00 pm)
Limited evenings and weekends as assigned
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
A private 20-acre estate with a growing horticultural footprint in the heart of San Antonio, Texas is seeking a Lead Perennial Gardener/Horticulturist with a refined eye for detail to oversee the care and maintenance of a one-and-a-half-acre contemporary perennial garden. The plant palette of the space is heavily inspired by Mid-Atlantic and East-Coast gardens, and is unique to the San Antonio region.
Constructed in 1935, the historic house and grounds feature over 200 mature live oaks, a south lawn anchored by a traditional parterre garden, a contemporary perennial garden, and a year-round kitchen garden.
The Lead Perennial Gardener will work with the Director of Grounds to ensure that the garden continues to develop and mature as designed. Duties will include the care and maintenance of a diverse palette of perennials, annuals, trees, and shrubs. The Lead Perennial Gardener will oversee planting, thinning, fertilizing, hedging, pruning, and deadheading, and will assist with additional garden and grounds projects as needed to help maintain the unique and artistic property. Experience with pest and disease identification and treatment is preferred.
The ideal candidate is a passionate gardener with an acute eye for detail, a committed work ethic, and a desire to further their horticultural skills. The candidate must be comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment.
The position reports to the Director of Grounds.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES
· Serves in a leadership role for perennial garden care and maintenance, including planting, weeding, mulching, thinning, watering, grooming, mowing, trimming, edging, and debris removal.
· Collaborate with the property owners and the Director of Grounds to ensure the perennial garden develops as intended.
· Monitor and schedule irrigation for the perennial garden. Assist with irrigation repairs.
· Assist with sourcing and procuring plants and materials.
· This position will work on shared projects in other areas of the estate with other garden staff as required.
· Other duties as assigned.
Full time employees are eligible for PTO, paid holidays, and are eligible to apply for health care benefits after 90 days of employment.
Send your resume, cover letter, salary expectations and three references to the Director of Grounds at HiringSATX @ gmail.com
· Passion for gardening, perennial plants, and museum-quality maintenance.
· Associate degree in horticulture with an emphasis in ornamental horticulture (preferred) or related field.
· Proven track record and experience in the care of gardens and landscapes, with a minimum of 2 years of experience working in a public or private gardens, or 3 years in a related industry.
· Strong communication skills and experience working in a collaborative culture.
· Knowledge of perennial gardening best practices and plant irrigation requirements.
· Valid Texas driver’s license.
· Hold a Texas pesticide applicator's license or ability to obtain one within 6 months.
· Conversational Spanish is helpful but not required.
· All employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment
· All employees are subject to a background check as a condition of employment.
· Work outside, year-round, at a productive pace in South Texas weather conditions.
· The ability to stand, sit, kneel, walk, dig, climb ladders, and carry a minimum of 50 lbs. at a productive pace.
· The ability to perform all garden and gardening related tasks safely and efficiently, both independently and with assistance.