To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
Administer construction projects, supervise construction, perform on-site quality control inspections and coordinate safety of campus construction projects. Advise and make recommendations to the Director of Engineering Services and others on all aspects of design and construction, construction cost, life safety and code compliance in pursuit of university objectives. Participate in the production of construction documents, and administer the project bidding process.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Assist in production of design and construction documents, including drawings and specifications for architectural, structural, mechanical, HVAC, plumbing, civil and site projects. 2. Provide on-site project supervision and inspection and coordinate quality control inspections of campus construction projects. 3. Monitor project costs, progress payments, and change orders. 4. Act as liaison with contractors, architects, engineers and regulatory agencies in resolving design and field construction conflicts. 5. Assist with invitations to contractors for project bidding and lead pre-bid meetings and walkthroughs. 6. Assist with bid openings, bid evaluations, and project awards. 7. Provide supervision and technical expertise for the layout and production of site and property boundary survey documents. 8. Maintain complete and current project files including as-built tactile and computer-based construction drawings. 9. Monitor contractor progress and coordinate construction safety. 10. Assist in the review of construction documents prepared by outside services and/or university personnel. 11. Assist engineers and others within the facilities organization with the design and management of all aspects of projects as required. 12. Assist the engineers and Director of Engineering Services in conducting the general activities of the unit. 13. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. 14. Integrate safety practices into daily activities.
● Associates Degree in Engineering Technology or Architectural Technology or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● Five years of experience dealing with contractors and supervising or inspecting construction projects. ● Experience using personal computers and basic software packages including, word processing, scheduling, and spreadsheets.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Bachelor of Science in Construction Administration, or related fields
● Understanding of construction bidding process. ● Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skill. ● Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments ● Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all constituencies of a diverse university and local/state community ● Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions in the work place ● Ability to be creative, flexible, self-motivate, quality oriented, and to maintain a professional service-oriented relationship with faculty, staff, and students. ● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff. ● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● Experience using AutoCad and/or Revit. ● Experience using GIS software and Building Information Management (BIM), computer aided design application software, such as MEP, CloudWorx, SketchUp, Chief Architect ● Experience interpreting building codes including life safety and ADA. ● Experience performing and interpreting topographical site surveys.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places. The employee occasionally works in wet, humid conditions; outside weather conditions and in extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and radiation, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment ranges from moderate to very loud.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.