Location: Ithaca, New York
Equipment Operator II
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Performs skilled operation of a wide variety of landscape construction and maintenance equipment and motorized wheeled vehicles including commercial trucks and tractors exceeding 25,000 lbs. to support campus grounds activities. Performs general landscape maintenance and/or landscape construction tasks, including turf maintenance, plant maintenance, litter control, snow removal, and other duties. Promptly reports unsafe conditions or damage to campus landscape, equipment or facilities.
Subject to call-in twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to handle emergencies, especially snow emergencies. Subject to shift changes and extended working hours (including nights, early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays) to meet seasonal work demands. Subject to working in weather related extremes of heat and cold for extended periods. May come into contact with sewage and dead animals. Regular exposure to bees and pollen.
This position is covered by the UAW Collective Bargaining Agreement. At the end of the probationary period employees will be required to pay union dues per article 1 of the agreement.
All employees are accountable for supporting the organization's values of truth, respect, excellence, teamwork, integrity; and supporting inclusive and sustainable practices in carrying out everyday responsibilities
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years experience with landscape maintenance, landscape construction and related equipment operation.
- Minimum of 3 years experience operating heavy motorized landscape and snowplow equipment (exceeding 25,000 lbs.).
- Experience planning and coordinating work crews required.
- Valid motor vehicle operator license, CDL B license required or must obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Will be required to obtain NYS pesticide applicator's license (Cat. 3a) within 3 years.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test and be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Previous working experience reading plans, specifications, manuals, and landscape blueprints.
- Experience with hand equipment such as chainsaws, hand mowers, weeds eaters.
- Strong interpersonal (oral and written) skills in order to interact with a diverse range of people.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing independent judgment and problem solving to ensure a safe and efficient work environment.
- A strong customer service orientation while providing a helpful and friendly approach to serving the campus community.
- Is motivated to learn and takes initiative to be proactive.
- Formal training in ornamental horticulture, agronomy, arboriculture, helpful.
- Strong experience in landscape maintenance/heavy equipment operation in a commercial or high volume residential landscaping/snow removal environment.
- Current pesticide applicator's license and CDL driver license preferred.
University Job Title:
Equip Oper S08
United Auto Workers
Pay Rate Type:
Refer to Union Pay Rates Link Below
Remote Option Availability:
Number of Openings:
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
Online Submission Guidelines:
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.